Brandon Miller (’12)

Brandon Miller pursued a dual degree in Creative Advertising and Business Entrepreneurship at the University of Colorado. After graduating, he started his career as a graphic/web designer, and gained valuable experience at advertising and marketing agencies in Boulder, Washington DC, and Kansas City.

However, in 2019, he and his partner Lauren made a bold decision to embark on a new adventure, packing their lives into two suitcases and relocating to the other side of the world in Wellington, New Zealand.

Finding it a bit difficult to secure a permanent job on a visitor’s visa, he took the entrepreneurial path and established his own freelance company, specializing in web design and development. This allowed him to collaborate with local Kiwi startups, marketing agencies, and design studios, contributing his expertise to their projects. 

In 2021, Miller accepted an exciting opportunity as the Head of Creative at Psychoactive Studios, an acclaimed Web Design and Development studio known for its award-winning, innovative, and boundary-pushing interactive experiences on the web. Brandon says “being a part of the studio has been an extraordinary experience, unveiling a realm of design and development that has surpassed my expectations. Collaborating with incredibly talented individuals and clients from diverse corners of the globe has been an absolute pleasure, fueling my creativity and pushing the boundaries of what I thought was possible.” If you're curious to explore some of the projects he has worked on, you can visit psychoactive.co.nz.

During the holidays, Miller fully immerses himself in the island lifestyle, exploring the breathtaking landscapes of New Zealand in my campervan, engaging in activities such as overnight tramps, surfing, swimming in lakes, and drumming in a band with his good mates. They take advantage of the 3-day weekends and the laid back work/life balance to explore as much of the islands as possible!

Beyond his professional endeavors, Brandon, along with Lauren, actively contribute to the community by volunteering for the Blind Foundation. They dedicated 15 months to raising and training an amazing and smart Labrador pup named Zeke, who has since become a certified guide dog for the blind and now resides on the South Island. While they don't currently have a dog of their own, the couple continues to offer their home as a temporary space for dogs in need. Since Zeke, they have had more than 6 dogs stay in their home. Some staying for a night, others, for a month. “It’s such an amazing opportunity to work with these intelligent young pups who have the chance to change someone's life,” Brandon said.

In 2022, Brandon achieved permanent residency in New Zealand, granting him the ability to purchase property, exercise his voting rights, and reside in the country without any time constraints. Brandon says he will most likely be sticking around the Oceania region for the foreseeable future, taking the opportunity to explore the wonders of Aotearoa, Australia, and the neighboring Pacific islands.